Sunday, November 4, 2012

Large area detector for X-rays

I built a large area detector that is sensitive to X-rays and will be used in an upcoming project. The detector is constructed from a "Lanex Regular" X-ray intensifying screen, and a Hamamatsu R6094 photomultiplier tube (PMT). The PMT amplifies the light from the intensifying screen which is emitted when an X-ray strikes the screen. The area of the screen allows it to catch many X-ray photons created by backscatter. The PMT is setup with a simple 100K resistor between the anode and ground. A 1V output corresponds to a 1 microamp anode current. I'll probably add a very simple opamp circuit to this, and then pipe it into an A/D converted for digitization.


3 comments:

  1. Hey I searched your Youtube channel for "Solar" and found nothing.

    What gives?!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben,

    can you contac me kohoutektomas@hotmail.com? I would like to send you something. Thank you.
    Tomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would possibly make a good cosmic-ray detector. I believe 1V acros 100Kohm equals 10uA.

    ReplyDelete